Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Day 4: Take Out Your Bread Cuz it's Time to Jam

 
CLASSES

Today I started out with comparative religions, my fourth block; they were on Christianity, main Catholicism. I am truly the only catholic here, every on else is mainly atheist and/or non-organized religion. So it was a little weird but I was able to talk to those about my religion and theirs.


So in Comp. Religions, to help us understand Catholicism he decided that we watch the movie Grand Torino. We did finish the movie so far but it was really good and the points and themes it brought about Catholicism, though only indirectly, was very thought bringing material. We analyzed the movie and talked its themes.

 Then I had more of music intensive then Chemistry.

In Chemistry we worked on calculating pH level. Although I didn’t work on this in my chemistry class, I caught on quick and even finished all the problems first and without help. We check the problems and I was completely right.

PUTNEY FUN

 After classes were over I had my activity and mine happened to be ultimate Frisbee. It’s like football, soccer and basketball mashed into one sport but instead of a ball we use a Frisbee. We played a couple of practice games. I was thrown in without knowing anything but it was fun, and more vigorous than I expected. There was constant running, and Frisbees flying around, along with yelling that comes with every sport.

Afterwards I on my way back I found the same senior girls, who looked after me on the first day, we went back to my dorm along with a couple of guys who was on the Frisbee team who was also in the same dorm as me.

We went into on of the guy’s room, and the girls immediately sniffed out his food stash, and boy was there lot of food. We some what raided it; since the guys was with us and didn’t mind too much so as long we leave the sodas alone.

I found is acoustic-electric guitar and just started play while we talked keeping the things lively and fun, I’d change the songs depending on the mood and subject of the conversation.


Then all decided to have a huge dog pile. So I asked if any one had checked the weather because it was sunny with a chance of… Dakota! And I joined in. Pun successfully pulled off, they didn’t it coming.

Then I had to cut my fun with them short because it was time for Jazz Combo

JAZZ  & JAMMING

At the jazz combo, it was really just a rhythm section and trumpet. But we still managed to jam. It is nothing to be compared to my own jazz band. However it was very different for me because I’m used to big band sound and organizing.

We worked on a new song of which I just sight read most of the chords. The jazz teacher allowed me to solo and he loved it. So trumpet and me just switched off now and again improvising.

The jazz teacher was very open and allowed us to really feel the groove not so much on accuracy and blend like with Dr. Fletcher. He didn’t matter what the chords were so as along as we keep the chord progression in relativity to the chords on the sheet.

It was a great jam session, and in the end the drummer and me jammed off to Hey Joe by Jimi Hendrix. Then it turned out that we are both Green Day fans, so we decided to do a cover of King for a Day by Green Day and perform it at assembly before I leave. So we are trying to make small band to play it.

Then when I got to the dorm the bassist from the jazz combo brought out his guitar and we wanted to jam, then came along another really great guitarist in my dorm and he got his guitar and joined us.

 We just went put on the porch and jammed out under the stars.

3 comments:

  1. Those stars again,sounds like you had a great day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for keeping this blog, Dakota. I'm enjoying reading all about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you're been able to catch up with the Chemistry. I had no doubt that you would. Glad to hear that you're enjoying the time there.

    ReplyDelete